The Avanti was a major part of a plan to keep Studebaker in the automobile business, not by its sales alone, but as a way to generate interest, get people to the dealerships and achieve a reputation for performance and advanced design. The plan was to introduce it at the April, 1962 New York International Auto Show, then the Indianapolis 500 mile race, begin production of a rate at approximately 1000 per month and produce approximately 20,000 of the 1963 models before moving on to greater production in 1964. Unfortunately, following the introduction, Avantis trickled out of the factory because of problems with the fiberglass body. As a result most Studebaker dealerships had not received their first Avanti by the September model change-over date and 1963 model production totaled only 3,744. An additional 795 of the 1964 model were produced before Studebaker stopped South Bend auto production in December, 1963 and decided not to produce the Avanti or Hawk in Canada.

    Rushing the Avanti into production was a big mistake, but the Studebaker corporate officers had little choice because the auto division lost money most years and the shareholders were tired of that routine. The Avanti created a lot of interest in April, 1962, but by September the big news was the first Corvette Sting Ray and the new Buick Riviera. A 327 cu. in. Sting Ray split-window coupe cost $4,252 ( $4,037 for the convertible) or for $4,333 you could buy a new Rivera with a 401 or 425 cu. in. V-8. Chevy sold 21,513 Sting Rays and Buick sold 40,000 Rivieras that year. An Avanti cost $4,445, was available with only the 289 cu. in. V-8 of unknown horsepower because Studebaker wouldn't cite any horsepower figures.

    Another interesting comparison can be made to the introduction of the first Ford Mustang, which was being developed at the same time as the Avanti. Ford did not introduce it until April, 1964 and it appeared in the dealerships immediately thereafter. Ford produced 121,538 Mustangs by the September model change-over and total production for the "1964-1/2 - 1965" model was 680,989. To put the figures in perspective, Ford built 182 Mustangs for every Avanti that Studebaker built during the first seventeen months of production of each vehicle. The Ford Mustang was one of the greatest success stories of the automotive industry, but the Avanti also created its own niche in automotive history by being produced for 30 years after it was introduced and/or 25 years after its parent company went out of the automobile business. It was the orphan car that refused to die.

    After Studebaker ceased production of the Hawks and Avantis, Leo Newman and Nate Altman, who owned one of South Bend's most successful Studebaker-Packard dealerships, reopened part of the factory and resumed Avanti production in 1965. Although the "Avanti II" was powered by a 327 cu.in. Corvette engine, it was the same car and was built on the same Studebaker frame until 1987 when a new owner changed the chassis, introduced new models and moved production to Youngstown, Ohio. Avanti production ended there in 1991, nearly 30 years after it was first introduced by Studebaker. Total production of post-Studebaker Avantis was 3,449.

    I became a Studebaker Avanti owner in 1972 and quickly found the Avanti factory in South Bend to be a great source of parts, amusement and inspiration. I was only ten years old when Studebaker halted Avanti production in South Bend, but by the time I owned one I appreciated what was taking place and took the following photos of the Avanti III factory with my trusty Kodak Instamatic camera at the Studebaker Drivers Club Meets between 1968 and 1972.

    I really enjoyed my Avanti and would probably still own it if I lived in Chicago or South Bend where they salt the streets every winter. However, in 1976 I moved to Orange County, California and a few years later, my mom moved to Lone Pine, California. Whenever I visited my mom, I had to drive through about 200 miles of the Mojave Desert. Although I already knew the Avanti was a "hot" car, that term took on a whole new meaning during the summer. Although I could have added air conditioning, that would have made it more difficult to keep the engine cool, which was already enough of a problem in a fiberglass car that had no radiator grille above the front bumper. There were times when I didn't know what was going to melt first... me or the front end of the car. Finally, I adopted "Windex air conditioning" which is a Windex bottle full of water for misting my passengers and me during the trip though the desert. That had a cooling effect and made the interior of the car feel more like a sauna than a toaster oven.

    In late 1979, a friend of mine named George Russell died in a motorcycle accident. He had lived across the street from me in the same apartment complex and operated a 1964 Studebaker Daytona with very bad brakes. He would pump them three or four times whenever he wanted to stop the car and made evasive responses when I suggested that we fix them. I knew that he had a 1955 Commander because he showed me a photo of it, but the car was buried in his two-car garage under a canvas tent and a lot of junk. In late 1979, I noticed that he quit answering phone calls so I left a note on his apartment door asking him to contact me. Shortly thereafter I received a telephone call from his sister who informed me of the bad news. She had to come to Anaheim from the San Jose area to dispose of his car and motorcycle collection and accepted my offer of $700 for the Commander. The results of that transaction are revealed by the photos below.

    The first row of photos below were taken when my girlfriend, Nanette and I first rolled the Commander out of the garage. She quickly began cleaning it up while I began the important task of taking photos and offering encouragement. Nan was a very good worker but when she was finished the car still looked pretty bad as demonstrated by the second line of photos, which were taken near the Lone Ranger's former hideout near Lone Pine.

    Although the Commander didn't look very good, I got it running without too much trouble. But soon I discovered that it wouldn't stop. When I went through the brake system and took apart the master cylinder, I discovered why George never drove the car... someone had put the master cylinder together with the components in the wrong order. I suspect that George tried to fix the brakes on the Commander, and having failed to accomplish that project, he never attempted to fix the brakes on his Daytona.

    Despite the initial hassles, the Commander was a fine car. Someone had ordered it from Burbank, California in February, 1955 and it was loaded with options, including power steering, power brakes, tinted glass, a radio, three-speed automatic transmission, four-barrel carburetor, electric seat and POWER WINDOWS. I emphasize that last feature in the hope that someone will read this page, remember a green and white Commander with POWER WINDOWS in the Los Angeles area during the 1950's-1960's and let me know the identity of the first owner(s). The power windows make it a rarity because very few 1955 Commanders had that option.

    Shortly after I got the Commander running, my dad came to visit me in Anaheim as part of a business trip. He had to visit a military base up the Pacific coast to the north. We took the Commander, mainly because it had a larger trunk and more room than the Avanti. We went up Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur, then east through Yosemite and south to Bishop and Lone Pine. We had a wonderful trip. Yosemite has miles of smooth curving roads that are ideal for a tour in a green Studebaker V-8 hardtop with all the windows rolled down. The old 259 cu.in. V-8 hummed along smoothly and made that sound I like so much. Coming into Bishop we went through a rain shower which made the hood of the car look new and green rather than the faded turquoise it had become. On the final leg of the trip through Mojave I opened the little air doors in the fenders, which kept the inside of the car nice and cool. By the end of the trip I had decided to keep it.

    I drove the Commander in its ragged condition until about 1981 when I burned an engine bearing on the way to Lone Pine, where it would remain until 1990. In 1982 I lost my job and was in my third year of law school. At that time I had the Avanti, Commander, Messerchmitt, trailer for Fritz the Schmitt and a motorcycle. Something had to go. Since the Avanti was the most valuable vehicle of the lot, I sold it to a fellow Studebaker collector named Gordon Richmond from Calgary, Canada.

    In 1990, I burned out the green Lark on another trip to Lone Pine and had to get the Commander back on the road again. The first four photos were taken in the Lone Pine area. The man in the tan 1947 Studebaker Land Cruiser is Sony Lindsey, who did most of the restoration work. After he finished my Commander, he joined the Studebaker Club and bought the Land Criuser, then a 1962 GT Hawk and then an Avanti. Studebakers can be addictive.

    From 1990 until the end of 1996, the Commander was my only four-wheel motor vehicle, so I rode my BMW motorcycle most the time. That was acceptable, except when it rained. I rode it anyway because I had spent a lot of effort getting the rust out of the Commander and refused to drive it in the rain after the restoration. By the end of 1996 I realized that both the Commander and I were over forty years old. It was time to declare victory and quit choosing between risking injury on the motorcycle, and rusting the Commander whenever it rained. So in December 1996 I bought a new green and white Chevy Cavalier convertible and put the Commander in semi-retirement.

    I still love driving that old Commander, but drive it only when I can enjoy every minute of the experience. Whenever September 30th falls on a Friday, I celebrate James Dean Day and travel the same route to Cholame where "the Rebel" met the Ford and the phone pole on September 30, 1955. I still like to drive it to Las Vegas, when the weather is cool. On the way I leave Toyota Land Cruisers in the wake of my dual exhausts for having the audacity to steal a fine Studebaker name. And I like the way the Las Vegas lights sparkle off the chrome at night.

    As I said at the beginning of this website, some folks think of cars as nothing more than a means from getting front "Point A" to "Point B." For them, a car trip is wasted time. They can't experience the sights and sounds of an old Studebaker V-8, a nice big steering wheel, a colorful long hood or a little chrome airplane on the hood pointing the way down the road to the next adventure. They know not what they miss.

    Seen The New Stude? ('58 Hawk - clip #2)

    GO TO PAGE ONE - Studebaker Stories Introduction
    GO TO PAGE TWO - A Family of Craftsmen
    GO TO PAGE THREE - Builders of Champions...Commanders and Larks
    GO TO PAGE FOUR - Avanti
    GO TO PAGE SIX - Rolling Along for One Hundred and Fifty Years

    2001-2013 by J. L. Jacobson
    This copyright pertains to all text and images created by the author of this website
    and applies to any associated webpage and/or any webpage bearing the same copyright.
    The author of this web site will provide a list of non-copyright materials by E-mail upon request.


    doteasy.com - free web hosting. Free hosting with no banners.